Political system: Federal republic
Capital city: Vienna
Total area: 83 870 km²
Population: 8.3 million
Official EU language: German
The Alps dominate the western and southern parts of Austria while the eastern provinces – including Vienna, the capital – lie in the Danube basin.
Until the end of World War I, Austria had been the centre of a vast empire, which controlled much of central Europe for centuries. Austria is now a federal republic, consisting of nine states.
Vienna hosts a number of international organisations, including the Secretariat of the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe, the International Atomic Energy Agency and the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries.
The Austrian Parliament has two chambers. The National Council, or Nationalrat , has 183 members, who are elected by direct popular vote to serve a five-year term. The Federal Council, or Bundesrat , is the upper house with about 62 members who represent each province. Its members serve a four or six-year term.
Austria has a rich cultural heritage. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart occupies a place of his own as a composer, while the music of Franz Schubert also enjoys great popularity. In the world of philosophy and ideas, the work of Siegmund Freud continues to provoke controversy, while Ludwig Wittgenstein was one of the major influences in 20th century philosophical thinking. In art, the paintings of Gustav Klimt from the late 1800s are widely admired.
Austria has a mixed industrial and agricultural economy, while tourism is also an important source of income.
In cuisine, Austrian specialities such as Wiener Schnitzel and Apfelstrudel have become international dishes which need no translation.
Study in Austria
The central location in the heart of Europe, the tradition of political and social linkswith neighboring states provide a special interest in Austrian higher education institutions that maintain numerous reports of cooperation with these neighbors,but also with the rest of Europe and beyond. Higher education offers a variety of training and of excellent quality, country of great cultural richness, Austria can attract renowned for its artistic fields, such as the Mozarteum in Salzburg. But italso offers courses of excellence in the economic field (Wirtschaftsuniversität - Wien) or in the environment sector (Montanuniversität - Leoben)
A dozen public universities and seven private universities offer a wide range of general or highly specialized studies in Austria.
A few Examples of diversity:
- The University of Leoben, renowned, specializes in studies technology and engineering in the areas of environmental and construction mountain www.unileoben.ac.at
- The Danube University Krems offers only courses of specializations study: it has developed specialized courses for graduates and delivers Masters: www.donau-uni.ac.at
- Medical studies are full-fledged universities:
- Anton Bruckner–Privatuniversität, www.bruckneruni.at
- IMADEC University, www.imadec.ac.at
- Katholisch Theologische Privatuniversität-Linz: www.kth-linz.ac.at
- PEF-Privatuniversität für Management, www.pef.at
- Privatuniversität der Kreativwirtschaft, www.ndu.ac.at
- Medizinische Universität Salzburg Private (PMU), www.pmu.ac.at
- Private Universität für Medizinische Informatik und Technik Tirol, www.umit.at
- TCM-Privatuniversität SHU ZHEN LI, www.tcm-university.edu
- Webster University Vienna, www.webster.ac.at
- Konservatorium Wien, www.konservatorium-wien.ac.at
- Sigmund-Freud-Privatuniversität, www.sfu.ac.at
The size of the country, its central position in Europe, it opened to neighboring countries in East and its great cultural activity are assets to attract students. It is a country friendly and very dynamic.
The cost of living in Austria is at an average level in Europe must have a monthly budget of about 700 to 1 000 €.
It should be concerned about 6 months to 1 year in advance. For housing in a university, ask the housing department student place of study.
See contact information from the website: www.oeh.ac.at/wohnen
For more information:
- Official site Student Housing: www.housing.oead.ac.at
- Site info on housing: http://wohnen.career.at
- Site of Austrian youth hostels: www.oejhv.or.at
A website to help students looking for work to finance their education: www.unijobs.at
Consult tenders in newspapers:
You can also visit the Public Employment Service: www.ams.at
Learn the language
In the host country can move a degree Austrian German (deutsch dasösterreichische Sprachdiplom-OSD) which includes four levels: www.osd.at
Language courses at university
Three universities offer language courses in specific disciplines for foreign students (University preparation program).
For general information:
Liechtensteinstraße 155A-1090 Wien
Tel. : +43 1 / 319 99 91-0
Fax: +43 1 / 319 99 91-70
Burgring 8 / 2. Stock - A-8010 Graz
Tel. : 316/83 43 14 96
Fax: +43 316 / 83 14 96-4
Franz Josef Straße 18 - A-8700 Leoben
Tel. : +43 3842/402-8001
Fax: +43 3842/402-7012
Language courses in private institutions
There are many opportunities to improve your German in Austria. Especially in the journal “Deutsch in Österreich lernen” Campus Austria:
c / o WIHOK Universitätscampus AAKH, a Alserstraße Hof 4, A 1090 Wien
TEL: (+43 1) 4277-24101
Fax: (+43 1) 4277-9241
Summer courses for specialists are organized by several universities, particularly in the economic sector: www.univie.ac.at/sommerhochschule/
For a European Country Overview – Work Click here
For a European Country Overview – Study Click here
Articles related to Austria:
- Social Soccer Cup 2013 in Austria Posted on: February 1, 2013
- European Voluntary Service (EVS) in Madrid, Spain, story of Michaela from Austria Posted on: December 19, 2012
- Living in Europe - Studying in Austria Posted on: July 24, 2012
- European Youth Award - EYA Graz, UNESCO City of Design, Austria Posted on: June 29, 2012
- EVS Volunteer in Lustenau, Austria: Life on an organic farm Posted on: June 28, 2012
- Power of Non Formal Education - NFE and Employability in Vienna, Austria Posted on: June 21, 2012
- Vacancy for EVS volunteer in Austria: Akzente SPass and Youth Information Centre Posted on: April 23, 2012
- Vacancy for EVS volunteer in Austria Posted on: April 23, 2012
- The Vienna International Model United Nations 2012, Austria. Posted on: April 7, 2012
- Pandaship - Partnership Building between Chinese and European Youth Workers Posted on: March 15, 2012